Garudasana Benefits – 9 Key Ones
The Eagle Pose
Why would it be called that? Discover the benefits of Garudasana and why you need to include it in your Yoga Routine.
Naming this Asana
Garuda means eagle. Eagles are known as the king of birds.
Its Meaning and Position
Garuda is the vehicle of Vishnu – one of the most important gods in the Hindu pantheon and is one member of the holy trinity (trimurti) of Hinduism.
It looks similar to you being wrapped by yourself. Through this position, balance and tranquility is highly evident.
Hold for 15 to 30 seconds to get the full benefit.
Key Areas of Focus
Shoulders, hips, thighs, calves, and ankles.
Beneficial Tips for Beginners
The above Asana may not be that easy for a beginner if balance is an issue. So to make it easier and to allow time to find the right balance, follow these tips:
Use a wall to support your back, since this is a standing pose.
There are different variations to this Asana and some are very challenging. It can be difficult depending on the variation chosen by the Yoga Instructor. The Yoga level achieved by the Practitioner (student) also determines the level of difficulty.
For alternative Asanas, check this out.
Benefits of Garudasana
- Loosens your joints.
- Stretches your muscles helping to make all of your body more fit.
- Achieve a sense of balance since you are standing on one foot.
- Strengthen and stretch your ankles and calves. These areas are important for strength and balance, but are sometimes neglected.
- Stretches your shoulders, upper back, hips, and thighs.
- Increased relaxation through the pull created.
- Through a relaxed state, improves concentration.
- Through improved concentration, you are keeping a check on your breathing.
- Increases your balance over mind, body, and soul allowing you to be open to better things in life.
Even though this may look like a difficult Asana, by regularly doing it you can master it to reap its benefits.
More Asanas Discussed
Check out my post on the benefits of Matsyasana. Compare the Asanas. Note the health benefits of each and how each helps in your holistic endeavors.
For more information about holistic health and better fitness, visit Healthy Living Bud-e.
NOTE: Please consult with your physician before starting any new exercise routine.